I'm Trying to Learn French!

Over the years I have been backwards and forwards trying to learn the French language. Sometimes I get better, sometimes I get worse, but i never seem to get anywhere. In an ill informed and possibly futile move I have decided to start this blog where I will explore a frech word or phrase each and every day until I have some vague passable knowledge of the French language. So join me from day one as the ultimate beginner learns French!

Wednesday 29 October 2008

Saying Goodbye in French

When you finish off your early conversations with the French it is only polite to say goodbye. There are a few variations of these basic French phrases but the basics are fairly easy to remember!

Au Revoir is the most simple, it simply means goodbye, it is pronounced more along the lines of oh ruhvwar though, so take care!

Bonsoirre is the next one you will find, there should be a bit of accentuation there, but I haven't figured out how to do that easily on this keyboard yet! This french phrase is pronounced as bonsoir but with an elongated e at the end, more like bon swar-ey.

This is the commonly used farewell at the end of the night.

For the lads out there, if you ahve a special french girl in your life the romantic French phrase "fais de beaux reves" is invaluable. This basically means "Make Beautiful Dreams", or to you and me, "Sweet Dreams"

If you become close friends with a french person of the opposite sex you will generally find them ending a conversation on the phone or in text with bisoux, bisous or a similar spelling (But they mostly sound the same). This basically means small kisses, like they generally use on the cheek. This is pronounced Bizou and is heard a lot throughout France!

0 comments: